Tuesday 22 January 2013

Mime Reference

I started looking at real life mime examples. Shown below is 'The Lion Tamer', a piece by Marcel Marceau, of one of the worlds best known mime artists to work on stage. One of the key things I took away from looking at his work was the strength and extremity of the poses which are used in his acts. These combined with his use of power centre and tempo of movement convey much of what is going on in the scene, with the face used only as a secondary means of showing the action. The faces which are used again are highly exaggerated


This second mime artist, 'ET the Mime', is quite different. Most of the humour in his act is achieved through audience interaction. While this won't be directly relevant to my piece, it does give me some useful reference to how the mime would react to a real second character as opposed to an imagined one. One thing I really like in this piece which I will attempt to include in my character animation is the way the mime directly addresses the audience, especially to mock the boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment